Thursday, March 03, 2011

Gadget = Bling bling .. Do you need it?


Well, here we go again.. Om Steve Jobs baru aja launching the next generation iPad; The iPad 2! Kata si Om: 33% lebih tipis, double  (CPU) processing speed (dual core Apple A5) and front/rear camera. The 1 million dollar question is: Should I buy it? Wihhh ada yg putih pula.

iPad2 New Cover
The problem with the original iPad (for me at least) adalah berat nya .. I owned iPad 16Gb (which I bought in the U.S and sold in Jkt for a margin). Coba aja browsing lebih dari 30 menit .. capek loh pegangnya .. and it was quite awkward if you don't use a case; licin gitu.The next big problem is .. mau dibilang pengganti pc .. tapi tetep aja iPad perlu PC utk sync. Jadi yah percuma aja kali ya. Beda sama android yg bener2 gak perlu pc (utk pic, music, video dll.). Tapi teteep yang laku ya iPad :)


The real question is actually; whether you need this gadget or not. Kalo dibilang mau sih .. ya mau lahhh. Kalo butuh .. hmmmm. Unless I sell my Macbook; the iPad is redundant. 

Since I use a company's laptop for work; my primary laptop (which is the MacBook) lost some of its usefulness. Now I primarily use it for browsing, and as my music and pictures database. 

For browsing, I believe iPad 2 can substitute my MacBook. But as a database? hardly ya. Jadi memang seharusnya kita perlu ada 1 desktop di rumah .. and I have a macmini ... so what the hell am I doing. I should sell my Macbook and buy an android tablet :p ... ooooor buy the original iPad!!! which will get a US$100 cut due to the launching of iPad 2 ... see, justification found! it's a matter of pitching this with the wifey hehe.

Facetime is a must now!
 I am a devoted android user. I truly support their 'openness' .. seriously! with an android; you can do things that you can't with your iPhone.

The one thing that I want though; is the Facetime. Apple has made it very easy to do video conferencing. And for a lovey dovey daddy like me; 1 minute of video conferencing with my babygirl is a miracle :). I truly believe that if android cannot provide a Facetime like feature in its phone and tablet .. I'll seriously considering a move to the good old Steve Jobs' bandwagon.

Waktu itu my good friend Hendrik actually demoed the Facetime feature using his shiny new generation iPod Touch ... you only need an email and a wifi connection and voila!! video conferencing! and as long as you have good internet connection, everything is flawless :)

Saat ini gadget (terutama di Jakarta) sudah seperti menjadi trend. You just got to have the newest shiny, state of the art, blazingly fast gadget in town. It is like a jewelry that you wear so you can show it to other people. I'm not saying it is wrong... terserah aja kok; kan suka-suka aja tiap orang mau gimana. But for me; karena uang masih terbatas, ya mau gak mau harus milih milih :p.

The many colors of the new magnetic cover
So For me; buy the iPad2:
- if I sold my Macbook
- if my wifey approved the buying (this is the hardest part)

But seriously; it goes down to the Facetime! Soooo many things to buy in 2011!! : Nintendo 3DS, iPad2, Motorola Atrix 4G, Macbook Air,  Nismo Bodykit for March, audio for March.

Well, this is a sign for me to work harder, don't you think? :)

No comments: